Wednesday 26 June 2013

EVANGELISE WITH LOVE

I saw him in the church building for the first time on Wednesday.
He was in his mid-70's, with thinning silver hair and a neat brown suit.
Many times in the past I had invited him to come to church. Several
other Christian friends had talked to him about the Lord and had
tried to share the good news with him. He was a well-respected,
honest man with so many characteristics a Christian should
have, but he had never accepted Christ and had never attended the
church services.

"Have you ever been to a church service in your life?" I had
asked him a few years ago. We had just finished a good day
of visiting and talking. He hesitated. Then with a bitter smile he
told me of a childhood experience some fifty years ago. He
was one of many children in a large impoverished family. His
parents had struggled to provide food - with little left for
housing and clothing. When he was about ten, some neighbors
invited him to worship with them. The Sunday School class
had been very exciting! He had never heard such songs
and stories before! He had never heard any one read
from the Bible! After class was over, the teacher took him
aside and said,"Son, please don't come again dressed as
you are now! We want to look our best when we come into
God's house." He stood in his ragged and patched overalls.
Then looking at his dirty bare feet, he answered softly,
"No, ma"am, I won't ever!"

"And I never did!" he said abruptly ending our conversation.

There must have been other factors to have hardened him so,
but this experience formed a significant part of the bitterness
of his heart. I am sure that Sunday School teacher meant well,
but did she really understand the love of Jesus Christ? What
if she had put her arms around the little dirty urchin and said,
"Son, I am so glad that you are here and I want you to
come back every Sunday and learn more about Jesus!"

I reflected on the awesome responsibilities which we as pastors
and teachers and Christians have! HOW FAR REACHING IS OUR
INFLUENCE! I prayed that I might always be open to the
tenderness of a child's heart - and that I would always look
beyond the appearance and behavior of a little child with so
many eternal possibilities within.

Yes, I saw him in the church house for the first time last
Wednesday. As I looked at that immaculately dressed old
gentleman lying in his casket, I thought of the little boy
of long ago! I could almost hear him say,
"No, Ma'am, I won't ......Ever!"

AND I WEPT!

No comments:

Post a Comment